Search

Monday, January 10, 2011

Espp & tfsa


I'm not sure if this is possible but is there anyway of creating TFSA to take advantage of ESPP through work. This and RRSP are main source of saving money. Because grant price is lot lower I have made large income through just the difference between grant price & stock price. I believe I have made this past year about $7-8K through this method and I believe that during tax season I will have pay marginal tax on that amount.

So is there anything I can do to take advantage of this? I still haven't sold and plan on selling shortly (unless there is tax advantage to not doing it). I continue to invest in ESPP, so is there anything I can do in the future to lower my taxes, even if it is not through TFSA?

A lot of companies offer their ESPP to go directly into an RRSP, but I don't believe many have gotten on board with TFSA yet. Regardless, you'd still be taxed at your MTR on the company's contributions, the benefit of the TFSA is that you would only have one number on your T4PS as there would be no tax on dividends. Depending on how the ESPP is set up there's probably some way you can transfer stock into a brokerage TFSA. Otherwise, sell and then repurchase in a TFSA.

All that being said, if this is a Canadian dividend paying company, the TFSA probably isn't the best location for the stock anyway, as capital gains and dividends are very tax efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment