Search

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Books on tax?

I'm trying to get acquainted with the Canadian tax system. I might even take some courses in the next two months. What books can I read that would give me a good base? I will be taking university taxation courses in a year and I admit that as of right now, I'm not even sure how and when taxes are due. I don't know how tax refunds work. I feel so dumb in this area. I want to be an expert in this.

Any suggestions on books are very welcome. I tried going to the CRA website but it's all about how an individual files his/her own tax return as opposed to learning the basics.


Any suggestions on where to start? Book recommendations would be very awesome


KPMG's Tax Planning for You and Your Family
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...8777-item.html

I've been using their books for years in my business and they're usually required reading for anyone doing a Financial Planning course.

Byrd and Chen - Cdn Tax principles
http://www.pearsoned.ca/highered/div...hen/index.html



Books are ok to get an idea about the principles involved, but the only way to really understand taxes is to complete a number of returns.

I also reccommend doing the returns by HAND to start, not with a computer program. Doing them by hand really hammers home the concepts and helps you remember the topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment