Search

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

PC MC Disputed transactions

Today when checking my online credit card statements I noticed 2 suspicious activities on my card (amount is less than <$200) and happened within this month. The card seemed to be used to purchase gasoline in GTA.


I reported this and they said that they are going to investigate and will send me a new card right away.




My question is: I've not used this particular card for any retail transaction for at least months (since I've used by CapOne Aspire One as my primary card) in any retail, how could this happen? My next question is, are people that *stupid* in a sense that they use it on a gas station which has surveillance camera all over the place?


Is this kind of random occurrence happens to everyone once in a while? is it common?




Finally, how long investigations will take place normally?




Thanks!

Your card probably got skimmed some months ago.
Maybe they are using the card to fill up gas for stolen cars, or they are just going in and buying gift cards, cigs, etc, without driving up to a pump? 

This kind of thing thrives because

A. "Zero liability" provisions in credit card contracts insulate individuals from risks of having their credit card info stolen or misused. There is not much incentive for people to put much effort into protecting their CC information. Older people seem to have less trust in this system, while younger people tend to be much looser with their credit cards, trusting that they are protected from fraud.

B. Credit card companies largely just write off fraudulent charges that are small enough. For less than $200 bucks, its not really worth it for them to pay someone to investigate it for even a few hours. They might file a police report, but unless they can connect it to a larger group of fraudulent charges, they wont be putting much time into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment